DIY McCall's 6959 Review



Hi

I was really in love with McCall's 6959 when it came out a couple of months ago for the Spring/ Summer line of patterns.  It might have been the way the model was smiling in the picture, but I just knew I had to have that dress.  There are a pretty good bit of wrap dresses, shirts, skirts, just anything you can think to wrap out there, but that didn't matter to me.  I thought the bias around the dress was just beautiful, so guess who started the 6959 project?  That's right, Me.

My luck runneth over when I was able to find the perfect piece of Linen to go with my dream wrap dress.  I had seen this fabric several times in Hancock Fabrics, but it was just not saying anything to me at the time.  I admired its beauty as it glistened under the ambiance of the florescent lights.  My eyes would just tear up and then my mind would say,,"Keep it moving!"  I really wanted that fabric.  So one day while I was out window shopping (LOL) I decided that a yard maybe even 2 wouldn't hurt anything.  Then pow!  McCall's breaks out with this pattern.


Here are my findings at the fabric store and what I did with both the pattern and the fabric.

Yay! I got both of them in 1 shot.  This fabric is a gorgeous gold foil weave linen print that looks kind of strange up close, but it definitely had me thinking for weeks after I had seen it.  With pattern in hand and fabric to boot.




The Review

Pattern Description: Misses wrap dress with options.

Pattern Sizing: 14-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that this was a simple wrap dress made with quality fabric.
   
Fabric Used: Linen

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't make any changes to the pattern. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I will make this again.  I do recommend this pattern to others. 

Conclusion:  I am not totally disappointed because I love wrap dresses and this one came through to an extent.  I didn't like that the V in the front was not as structured as it could have been.  I think the bias tape made it flimsy.  The skirt was awesome.  I loved the way it loolked and I did allow for a 24hr hang period before finishing.  The sleeves were a little tight for my arm size so adjustments had to be made in order to get them to fit.  I used the 3/8 ribbon for the inside ties, but you could have used the bias tape just the same.  Overall, this is a nice pattern, but it lacked structure in the bodice.

Well, that's it for today.  I hope you enjoyed today's post.  

Until next time, Lots of Love

Dellia

Comments