Vogue 8945 In Red

Hi

My viewing of this Spring's Vogue collection has really sent me in that direction and since I had a pattern from 2013 that was driving me crazy, I decided to dive into a little Vogue fantasy.  I've already picked out my must haves for this Spring from Vogue and I'm still in debate about the others, but I do plan on finding what works for me really soon.

While I was strolling through the new Spring collection and having some issues with my sewing machines, I finally figured a way around my sewing problems.  Over the holidays and a little before then I started sewing with heavier weight fabric.  I didn't really think that that would cause an issue with my machines, but somehow that is the only reason I could come up with to explain the troubles.  So, to alleviate not being able to sew at all I began to go through my pattern stash to find patterns that required lightweight fabric.

Boy, was this a hard task.  I flipped fabric and tossed patterns until this little light went off and said,,,,,"Don't you have a couple of yards of Faille?"  Then me, being on that slow role,,," Which one is it?"  At that point my hands touched the fabric that my little light was talking about and I could feel my blood pushing to THE pattern.

Wow,,,,that was a life saving moment for me.  I hadn't thought about that pattern or that piece of fabric in a while because the fabric was so soooo light.  As I quickly gathered all my items, I knew Vogue 8945 was the pattern that I gotten for this particular piece fabric.  When I first saw this pattern it took me back to the late 60s and early 70s ( without telling my age ) and yet in so many ways it was in tune with today's style of fashion.

Here is a look at a Vintage Sweety made in Faille.


There's that Vintage Sleeve thing.  I love the way the sleeves just flowed and blew in the wind.  The fabric was a silk Faille I had purchased last year from FabricMart.  This fabric is no longer available, but I did find a few interesting pieces Here, Here, and Here.



The sheen from this fabric was so surprising to me because it looked so lifeless when it was folded.


                                         All accessories are from Charlotte Russe.


The Hair fits the vintage look, right?  I'm kind of thinking that you are looking at it and wondering where it went.  Well, last year in October, I got tired of trying to keep up with the grey hairs.  It was a tough decision, but I decided that I wouldn't fight the greys anymore.  Believe it or not, I have always had grey hair and as I aged, I felt the need to hide it and fight it to the end.  October, for me, was the end.  So, as a resolution for this year, 2015, I am going natural and letting the cat out of the bag.

This will be a very hard journey for me, but I am committed and determined to embrace the most simplistic me possible.  So far, I have cut approximately 14 inches of hair.  I didn't do those posts because that was a very serious event for me.  As I come to a full completion of this walk, I invite you to share in this process with me,,,,,BUT,,,,,THE BIG CHOP hasn't happened yet.  I wanted to give myself some crying time in between and most of all give my Mother time to embrace the idea.  The years that I kept my hair long were solely for her and I dedicate those locks in prayer to the years that she adored my long "black" hair, but she has taught me so much this past year about being true to myself and loving myself until I just stepped out into the rain and said, "This is me."  Now, I'm ready.    

The Review

Pattern Description:  Misses Semi-fitted dress with neck and sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing:  E5 14-16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes,

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Funny thing, I didn't use the instructions.  It was a basic shift dress and the pattern just told which way to go itself.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love the sleeves on View B.  I might be the only one who's crazy about the sleeves, but they were talking to me.

Fabric Used:  Silk Faille

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I didn't make any major changes to the pattern.  I added 1" to the bottom for the hem and 1/4" to the sleeve because my arms are a little bigger that most.

Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, and Yes.  This is a quick and easy pattern to make.

Conclusion:   I am in love with the sleeves.  The sleeves are what gives this pattern a 60s-70s look.  The dress itself is a perfect fit.  I didn't have to do anything other than what I estimated ( sleeves and length).

The fabric suggestions are Faille, Crepe, Challis, and Linen.  I used a very, very lightweight Faille and ended up having to put a lining in.  I think it would look so creative if it was made out of a Handkerchief linen, but my next plan is for a Challis that I can see View A in.  I don't want to leave out the idea of this dress being made in a lightweight satin, lace or crepe de chine.  I think that because these fabrics are dressy and flowy, you will get the same affect from them when it comes to the sleeve.  When it comes to color, I think the form of this dress could handle just about any color, so go crazy with it.

Overall, this is a good stash pattern to have.  It was quick and painless and I still have a great "go to" dress for date night.  It can be dressed up or down according to your fabric choice.


Well, once again, I have come to the end of my post.  I hope you enjoyed it as I look forward to spending this time with you, ,,,,,,BUT, Until next time.


Lots of Love
Dellia

I almost forgot.  I used my serger to finish the sleeves.  My sewing machine would not let me get any intricate sewing done, so I flipped a few dials on my serger to get that handkerchief look going (seen in the close up pic).

Comments