Thinking Outside The Box New Look 6183

Hi

Recently I was looking for something different to make for myself.  I decided that I would use a pattern from my stash that I had passed over several times as my muse.  I thought to myself, "I've passed over a lot of patterns".  But, my elimination process was the key.  I began by laying out 5 patterns that were on my mind, but as of yet sat unsewn.  Then I closed my eyes and picked 1 from the bunch.  The winning pattern, New Look 6183, was really cute, but I didn't want to make mine from the suggested fabrics.


Well, I had a slight mind bender on my hands because I had satin, sateen, crepe, and poplins in many different colors, but my thoughts were that those fabrics were not "talking" to me the way I needed for this dress.  I kept thinking and looking until I found the most gorgeous suiting fabric.  The colors were perfect (Dark teal & white) and my mind  was reeling with the idea of this dress as a completed look.

To me, View A seemed to work for me and had more of a vintage look.  My thoughts were that with the type of fabric I was using I would be close to a modern day vintage dress.  Either way I was happy that I let fate decide which project to take on.


 The Review

Pattern Description: Pattern Description: Misses Retro style dress with empire waist, princess seamed trumpet skirt.  Neckline and sleeve options.

Pattern Sizing:  10-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I have to say that these princess seams were the best part about this dress and the empire waist surprised me.

Fabric Used: Poly/Rayon Suiting.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, This is an awesome pattern.  I recommend it completely.

Conclusion:  Even though this started out as a surprise project, it was a joy from start to finish.

I changed the suggested fabric choice to something that looked more vintage and it worked out wonderfully.  Finding ways to make something your own can be daunting, but if you look hard enough you will find a way to turn things inside out and mix it with yourself and your personality. My other choices for fabric are Here, Here, and Here.  I still say go with the suggested fabrics if you aren't quit sure, but thinking outside the box always pushes you to another level of sewing and creating.  You never know unless you try.

My button was a little larger than the suggested button because the sizing seemed off to me.  I chose a silver look because the white against the teal really wanted a silver button vs. a gold or solid colored button.  I used a teal color coordinated invisible zipper and thread.  The teal accents made the dress "Pop".  By using teal to accent the color played against the specks that were in the fabric and made for a subtle second glance.

This is a good wardrobe builder type pattern and it's also good for an advanced beginner.  The V in the bodice will give some sewing time and experience with this type of bodice Vs.  The more you sew them,, the better you will get at it.  You don't have to use and invisible zipper.  I chose one because that was all I had that actually matched the fabric.

Well, that's all for this post.  I hope you enjoyed it and I look forward to our next post.  Thank you for joining me.

Lots of Love
Dellia

Comments